top of page

Start Racing

If you've thought about starting racing but need a little advice and help to get started, we have outlined the basic steps you need to follow to get you on the grid. If you have any further questions or need any further advice please contact us and we will be happy to talk you through it. 

How much does racing cost?
Well, Motor Racing is never cheap, but the club makes the track time you receive great value. The initial equipment costs can be quite high (car, preparation and personal safety equipment), but once bought, the ongoing costs can be very reasonable. We have members who race on a shoestring and may only compete in one or two rounds a year, sleeping in their car/tent/van with no testing time, whilst other members stay in hotels and have a race team to look after them. We embrace every type of racer, as long as they are here to have fun.

The cheapest way of racing with us is to share a car with a friend and therefore halving the costs. Choose the CSCC race meetings which take place nearest to you, drive your road legal car to the circuit, qualify, race and drive home again on the same day (or stay overnight if you prefer)! Doing this may cost each driver as little as £250 per event, even taking into account the race entry fee, fuel, a certain amount of normal wear and a bacon roll or two. Your costs with us amount to club membership, series registration for the car and a race entry fee.

Where do I start?

In order to get out on track you will need:


Race Licence and 'Blue Book' - Obtaining a race licence is both fun and straightforward. Simply visit the Motorsport UK website and purchase a ‘Go Racing’ pack for £99. This contains an application form (1st years licence fee included) and a digital copy of the Motorsport UK yearbook, otherwise known as the ‘Blue Book'. This is your bible when it comes to the mandatory safety requirements of preparing yourself and your car. You will then need to take a medical and book an ‘ARDS’ course (at a race circuit of your choice). You are then ready to send off for your licence. Your first racing licence will be a 'Race Club' which is fine for all CSCC UK rounds.

Race Car - Your choice of car is a very personal one and is likely to come down to budget, what you may already own or what you are interested in. Most choose to buy their car outright or share the car with a friend (halving the costs), but you can also rent a racing car on a race by race basis from a number of teams and preparers that race with the CSCC. An existing race car is usually the cheapest way of starting out rather than building your own. Contact the CSCC office who may be able to advise you of a cars suitability and eligibility.

In order to pass scrutineering, your car will need to comply with certain mandatory safety requirements, these can be found in more detail within the ‘Motorsport UK Blue Book’ but as a minimum will include, roll cage, race seat and harness, fire extinguisher, electrical cut off, rain light and towing loops.​

In addition to the above, you will require a Transponder (available from, to time your laps and as a Novice you will require a Novice Cross to be displayed on the rear of your car until you have gained six signatures on your licence. After this it is generally accepted that improvements to the brakes, suspension, cooling, tyres and most importantly the driver’s skills (!) should come before increasing power.

You can ask for a Motorsport UK Scrutineer to check your car for compliance and safety (there may be a charge for this). The list of licensed Officials can be found online within the Motorsport UK member portal. To view the list, click here and sign in, then click the Officials tab and use the drop-down list.

Personal Safety Equipment - In addition to the car safety equipment you must also invest in suitable fire proof clothing, again the Motorsport UK Blue Book is your guide here. As a minimum, you require FIA fireproof overalls, gloves, boots, a suitable Motorsport UK Helmet and a Frontal Head Restraint (FHR’s are mandatory for cars newer than 1977). It is also recommended that you consider fireproof underwear. The CSCC has a discount directory which is sent to members, helping them to save money on equipment. Once bought, many of these items will last many years if well looked after.

bottom of page